Saturday, February 14, 2009

CXIII - Valentine's Day Doodles

.


Young Jack was prosaic,
He really was a dill;
He went and bought a hammer
And gave it to his Jill.

Jill, she was romantic,
She wasn't thrilled at all.
She took his bloody hammer
And nailed him to a wall.

◊◊◊

Roses are red,
Candles are lit,
Chocolate's fattening,
But who gives a toss?

◊◊◊

When I doodle, enthusiasm permitting,
I love finding connections, often quite unwitting:
It appears to me that "stupid"
Is the only rhyme for "cupid"
An association that some feel to be rather fitting.

---
© J Cosmo Newbery
---
Print this post

9 comments:

  1. Great work J. I find it amazing that you can come up with these rhymes..edgy, short, pithy, sometimes emotional and always unique. I have said it before but what I like most about your poetry is the rhythm to the verse.


    Very enjoyable.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh boy, i needed this today. love your words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jack was definitely a dill. He'll need the hammer in his tool box. Should have given her a new bag for the vacuum cleaner instead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i woulda liked the hammer ..
    i asked for a sander once for mother's day ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Chocolate's fattening but who gives a toss' made me laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These were classic! Love the Jack and Jill -- Jack really had that coming. You don't give a woman a hammer!!! EVER!

    And AMEN on the chocolate one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with Diane... laughing at "who gives a toss?"

    How do you come up with this stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you on the stupid cupid stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job and I agree that Cupid is stupid!

    ReplyDelete

You've come this far - thank you.
Take your time, look around,
There is lots to see.