Friday, July 21, 2006

XXI - The Puppeteer.

Now, ladies and gentlemen, for your amazement,
I present, for the first time on the Newbery stage, a terzanelle.


The Puppeteer


In the overall scheme of things
We are but puppets on a stage
When other people pull our strings.

Rather than asking we ‘act our age’
Remember, or better, don’t forget:
We are but puppets on a stage.

Keep it in mind, while on the set,
Such relations can pull both ways;
Remember, or better, don’t forget

That with which the puppeteer plays
Are fixed to him as well as you;
Such relations can pull both ways.

Strings that pull you, as if on cue,
(Very few things are as they seem)
Are fixed to him as well as you.

Self control is a wishful dream
In the overall scheme of things.
Very few things are as they seem
When other people pull our strings.
---
© J Cosmo Newbery
---


Print this post

15 comments:

  1. I raise my glass to you, Cosmo. Well said, and well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Lillie, as my both my muse and friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. amazing...you simply are amazing...I have no words...only feelings...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Lux. The mischief maker in me wants to ask if you have warm hands. But, of course, I would never do such a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Speechless -- dazzled -- in awe -- and perhaps jealous, too. Magnificent maestro!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well Johnny, you are indeed an accomplished poet....I bow to you......and I believe there to be more than a smidgeon of truth behind these words. But Alas aren't we all just on a stage of sorts......

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was awesome, and closer to the truth than I'd like to admit

    ReplyDelete
  8. We were rather on the same page with this. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cosmo, found you at Poets United, and so glad I did! Your form is impeccable and your point infallible. It's all about how we let ourselves get pulled into those relationships when control is lost and self-determination is no longer a factor. The illustration was perfect as well. Thanks! Amy
    http://sharplittlepencil.wordpress.com/2012/02/24/labor-room-blues-in-the-key-of-aargh/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Profound and beautifully written!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's all well and good until we come unstrung ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would absolutely LOVE to hear you read this aloud. It's a piece of magic for sure.

    ReplyDelete

You've come this far - thank you.
Take your time, look around,
There is lots to see.