Sunday, October 16, 2016

937 - No Tulips.


Sunday Whirl (Wordle #270) presents a list of words
that we must incorporate in a writing piece.  

The words this week are:

spin, limit, flash, state, park, line,
flip, insulate, mimic, fade, rim, kick


No Tulips.

Have I parked in the right place?
Can I mention the war?
Did that player deserve the free kick?
I mean, will mentioning it cause me grief?
Will you turn on me?
And what if I state my preference
For the coming elections?
Will it flip the switch from docile
To hostile?
To a spitting monster of ridicule,
You with your flashing eyes and cutting words?
Can I live with my timidity?
Can I live without it?
Religion, of course, has even tighter limits,
Everything is spun  and recited
In a domestic mimic of a street
Purveyor of fine apocalypses.
Doomed.  We are all doomed.  Repent.
Lines, well rehearsed, are fired back
With the fine precision born of repetition.
Memories of past encounters,
Past eruptions of disapproval
Do. Not. Fade. 
Reborn with each remembrance
They resist attempts to insulate,
To forget.
But survival can depend on remembering
Where the rim of the precipice is,
Or the path around the minefield.
Tiptoeing helps
But is no guarantee.
It is curious that the phrase
Is ‘walking on eggshells’—
If the eggs are already broken,
Does it matter any more? 
.
---
© J Cosmo Newbery 2016
---


Print this post

12 comments:

  1. Shouldn't that be 'apocalypsi'?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often marvel at evolution to have encouraged the development of humans. I think that is why my dog looked at me is such a sad way..even after he had been fed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As long as there is the hope of tulips - it matters

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many good questions to answer for yourself as each of us also has to answer. Randy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved reading this. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could not live without my timidity, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a trip you led our imaginations through...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Precisely why I love this life of a Hermit, I have created. It really is so much safer,

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Exactly... why tiptoe if the shells are already broken?

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Can I live with my timidity?
    Can I live without it?"
    If once you have been brave, maybe the eggshells are already broken!
    I LOVE the questions here. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The one who bites her tongue often enough will surely bite it clean through!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love what you have done with the given words, so seamlessly interwoven. I am not very good at tiptoeing, myself. Is it advisable? I guess it depends on the particular circumstances.

    ReplyDelete

You've come this far - thank you.
Take your time, look around,
There is lots to see.