Thursday, October 01, 2026

1926 - To Oblivion, I give a Toast

 

The Sunday Whirl presented these twelve words for us to use in a creative writing piece.

wallow tag find music swelling bell delirium spell pales knowing just senses

(Oops, the prompt word was swallow, I lost the s somewhere.  Not about to change anything now.)




To Oblivion, I Give a Toast.*


I love general anaesthetics!

You may find that odd,

Put it down to pre-op delirium,

But I am comfortable with that.

Just by knowing that I will shortly

Have one of the best sleeps

I will ever experience 

Thrills me,

Swelling my chest with anticipation.

True, there is the awkward issue

Of the reason for being there

But it pales beside a good sleep.


Wheeled in, tags on both wrists, to be safe,

Gentle music to soothe the senses,

A brief spell while they get ready,

But no time to wallow in the situation.

“Count backwards from one hundred”.

“One hundred.  Ninety…”

Nothing.

Then a bright room, with bells and beeps,

With attentive nurses asking “Can you hear me?”

Delivering tea, weaker than I ever was.

And an egg and lettuce sandwich.


◊


*Well, an egg and lettuce sandwich, if the truth be known.


Print this post

3 comments:

  1. “I laid me down and slept; I awaked; for the LORD sustained me.” — Psalm 3:5 (KJV)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could just go to 7-11 and buy an egg and lettuce sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah sigh. Ground hog day in the timeless building they claim is there for our health. Life will wait outside for you.

    ReplyDelete

You've come this far - thank you.
Take your time, look around,
There is lots to see.