Wednesday, August 21, 2024

1323 - Going Against The Grain

 


The Sunday Whirl presents twelve words for us to use in a creative writing piece.  

This weeks words are: 
Bliss, leaping, memory, particles, arms, breath, story, pieces, heartache, beings, thunder, called


Going Against the Grain

“If two people love each other there can be no happy end to it.” 
– Ernest Hemingway.


In due course
They will return your ashes.

How do I reconcile
Those coarse beige particles
With the memories 
Of your warm embrace?
Being held in your arms?
Your rhythmic breath
As you slept beside me?
Our moments of heartache 
And moments of bliss?
The joy of laughing
In thunderstorms?
Of walking in the rain?
Of lying in the sun?
Just being together.

My mind hops from memory
To memory, leaping, weeping.
The story called life; 
A kaleidoscope 
Of pieces, 
Tumbling, 
Falling,
Recalling.

And now?  
What does the future hold?
A plastic box of ashes.

Print this post

20 comments:

  1. You've been a bit glum of late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something vaguely indecent in being able to run your hands through the roasted and crushed bones of someone who loved you so deeply. Mrs N gave her body to science. Once they have completed their use of it, they will return the ashes to me. Anything up to three years away.

      Delete
    2. I am thinking that science is being in possession of her body but you are being the one who is holding her heart. Is this not being so?

      Delete
  2. To J Cosmo Newbery

    In every drop of rain, her essence still calls,
    A dance of beings, where her love never falls.
    From the joy of laughing to the calm of sun’s rays,
    Her presence endures in your heart’s tender ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart is touched. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart aches. With and for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a painful place to be in - I am sorry for your loss - sending you a pot of tea - Jae

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for answering my questions at your last posting; I've just read and answered your answer. This one is heart-rending! (Been there, done that; and thank God I had the writing. Thank God you have, too.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hasten to add that I do understand everyone's journey through this terrain is their own.

      Delete
  7. This is heart breaking and really hits home . Loss is so devastating. Thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a gifted writer and have conveyed your thoughts about this heavy loss succinctly like a song that everyone can hum and understand. May her memory be a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful and heart-wrenching poem Love reduced to dust. Lots of strength My thoughts are with you Take care

    ReplyDelete
  10. ((empathy hugs)) Why my husband's remains were buried in a sealed urn...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh this is such an overwhelming poem. Love and strength as you navigate this... hope your wonderful writing and the better memories comfort you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I could feel my heart ache with each line of your poem ... sending you a huge hug. I hope you can feel it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is heartbreaking. I can feel your emotions in it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope you receive all the love and support during this very difficult time in your life. Your poem is a beautiful expression of heart ache and loss....Rall

    ReplyDelete

You've come this far - thank you.
Take your time, look around,
There is lots to see.