Monday, October 14, 2024

1331 - Metamorphosis

 


The Sunday Whirl presents twelve words for us to use in a creative writing piece.  

This weeks words are: 

witchcraft, metamorphosis, garden, whirl, woods, fly, siren, sign, breath, stone, circle, why



Metamorphosis

Sing to me of the man, Muse, the man of twists and turns.
-- The Odyssey

Why? is the wrong question.
How? Is more to the point.
There is magic afoot in my garden.
How a pudgy, multi-legged sausage,
Full of the half-digested greenery
Of my well-loved garden,
Encases itself in a circle, a case, of gossamer
A change booth, a most private retreat 
Only to re-emerge as a butterfly?
What witchcraft is this?

I hold my breath as it takes its first,
Before launching off, flying off,
More a wobble than a whirl 
Twisting and turning
Moving from plants to flowers to woods.
How can this melting and remaking happen?
A clear sign of my ignorance.

What else is changing without witness?
Were the tangle of wire coat-hangers
Once my strangely missing ball-points?
What am I to believe?
Is there anything set in stone?
And if they are, can I trust the stones?  
The siren’s say ‘come Ulysses, come closer’.
Are they really stones?  
My toe says yes.

Print this post

2 comments:

  1. Technical point: the Ulysses butterfly, The Dunk Island Blue, was my late wife's favourite butterfly.

    ReplyDelete

You've come this far - thank you.
Take your time, look around,
There is lots to see.