Saturday, May 05, 2012

CCXCVIII - The Monsters Are Out


 For Dylan, 2.

The Monsters Are Out
 Read to the beat of 'O Fortuna', from Carmina Burana.

(whispered)

O Goodness me!
What do I see?
The monsters are in town.

Devils glaring
Demons staring
Have they come to hunt me down?

Black bats in flight
The gargoyles bite
There’s mayhem in the city.

Zombies walking
Warlocks stalking
My prospects are not pretty.

Goblins in tombs
Witches on brooms
They control the earth and sky.

Hint of brimstone
Clash of shin bone
Skeletons rattle passing by.

Black cats howling
Gremlins scowling
After dark the town is their’s.

Satan’s warlords
Creaking floorboards
Something’s coming up the stairs!

(Loudly)

They’ve reached my door
I’m on the floor
Is that a banshee that I heard?

Excuse me, mister,
Eat my sister,
There’s much more meat on her.

I’m full of dread
Beneath my bed
Please monsters, walk on past!

I feel so dumb
It just my Mum
It’s breakfast time at last!
.
---


© 2012   J Cosmo Newbery
---
Print this post

11 comments:

  1. No chance of a sister! He will have to make do with the dog and cats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. It's so perfect for a child, if it doesn't totally traumatize him first...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My brothers, all of whom are shorter and (ahem) less meaty, would have loved this.
    Thank you. For them, and for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the ending and say a resounding, "Whew." You had me scared for a moment or three.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahahaha ..... Love the 'eat my sister' bit!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work dear J Cosmo, what an imagination you have! :)
    xoxoxo ♡

    ReplyDelete
  7. AnonymousMay 06, 2012

    So perfectly describes a child's nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great poem! But I'll only be reading it to him now, while he can't understand enough of it to get scared then leave it for a few years...:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. If he doesn't sleep, you are in big trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it, love it, love it.

    ReplyDelete

You've come this far - thank you.
Take your time, look around,
There is lots to see.