Monday, February 02, 2009

CI - Cycles

.

Jenners, cheeky possum, offered me a 'strings-attached' award.
I could have the award if I wrote a poem about butterflies.
I have tackled butterflies twice before: here and here.
I took a different tack this time.
The award is in my Trophy Cabinet.


Cycles

She flits from shrub to shrub,
There to lay her eggs;
From them comes a chubby grub,
A stomach, with hairy legs.

These multi-legged eating machines
Do what their mothers reckoned:
Quickly gobble up their greens,
And a flower or two, for seconds.

When they are full and quite replete
They spin a home of silken strings
There they discard most of their feet
And grow a pair of wings.

A brief flutter with a passing mate
Leaves the female ‘in the club’;
Entrusted with their joint estate,
She flits from shrub to shrub.

---
© J Cosmo Newbery
---
Print this post

11 comments:

  1. I want a home of silken strings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way it starts and finishes with the same line, emphasising the repeat of the life cycle, no?

    ReplyDelete
  3. J Cosmo - that made me smile

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lee summed it up exactly... The cyclical thing. I like the "entrusted with their joint estate" part, too. Sounds so decent. Maybe a poem about a praying mantis should be added to your to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's the circle of life ..
    in a fluttery kind of way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And so the cycle continues,quite amazing really...from a grub to a beautiful butterfly. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this. And I love that you called Jenners a "cheeky possum." Ha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must say I've never been called a "cheeky possum" before but I quite like it! : )

    I can't believe how fast you turned this around! You are so gifted. Truly.

    Love the description of "a stomach, with hairy legs."

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd like some silken strings and a pair of wings.......Silken words, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What, no use of pupa and larva and all the possible rhymes therein? I'm disappointed.

    All kidding aside, great verse!

    ReplyDelete
  11. BRAVO!! A well spun tale if I'd ever heard one.

    ReplyDelete

You've come this far - thank you.
Take your time, look around,
There is lots to see.