Saturday, February 07, 2009

CV - The Cotton Dress

.
Photo from Dan Felstead's site.


The Cotton Dress

When wandering in a foreign land
And drifting, as in a dream,
I chanced upon a cotton dress,
Hanging from a beam.

The land about was grey and white,
The air would dimple skin;
Locals here went for warmth
But the dress was paper thin.

It spoke to me of distant realms,
Of music, beads and bright sunshine,
Of flowers, light and happiness,
A million miles from mine.

And where’s the woman of the dress?
I looked but saw no signs;
I suspect she dances barefoot still
In a place the sun still shines.

---
© J Cosmo Newbery
---
Print this post

6 comments:

  1. Dancing barefoot in the sunshine... I can't wait for those days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was just so lovely and peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems a bit wistful, too... "A million miles from mine." Very pretty imagery. Balm for the winter weary? Did the poem or the photo come first? (The latter, I think.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made me even more ready for the barefoot days of summer. I miss the warmth and the bright sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. J,

    Thank you for using one of my photos for inspiration. As usual, your poetry is fabulous. I envy your talent and insight. Great portrayal of thoughts behind the dress.

    Thanks,

    Dan Felstead

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfectly put. I like :o)

    ReplyDelete

You've come this far - thank you.
Take your time, look around,
There is lots to see.