Thursday, February 19, 2009

CXVIII - A Fork in the Road.

.

.

A Fork in the Road

In a country farmhouse, in front of a fire,
A friend and I expressed a desire
To pack our things and fly away,
To spend New Year in Scotland: Hogmanay.

Over the afternoon, a plan evolved,
(I seem to recall there was wine involved)
To quit our jobs and pack our things
And take our chances on fortune’s wings.

And we did it too; leaving Boxing Day
For London, then Scotland and Hogmanay.
From there we went our separate ways
On journeys that now never cease to amaze.

It’s been an adventure, with changing friends,
Going happily to where the impulse sends.
My advice to you, as plain as I can make it:
If there’s a fork in your road, then you should take it.

---
© J Cosmo Newbery
---
Print this post

17 comments:

  1. But which prong of the fork should I take?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not going to spoon feed you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. J...I wish I could take this as a roadmap to my life...I would love to follow that fork in the road.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just want to see
    the picture of Mr. Newbery
    Picking up that fork, and putting
    it into his vest pocket, waiting for pudding....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Lee: Where the HELL to now???

    And oh, Hogamany...:))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent rhymes. Wonderful sentiment... This poem reminds me of:

    I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

    ... One of my favorite Robert Frost poems

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with Lee, is it tine yet?

    ReplyDelete
  8. We did that once in our lives and it was the best decision we ever made!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What if the fork's all grown over and you miss it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh ... you are just the king of the puns! Love your answer to Lee. And seems to me the photo would fit well over at "A Modicum of Whimsy" too ... if you still have that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Modicum of Whimsy is still there - click on the "Admirable Post" in the sidebar.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was just having the debate
    Approaching the mental flood gate
    An admirable post, or
    A delicious road fork
    I can't chew on this more, I'll be late.

    @Sophia: I love the Frost poem; and love that that mantra is in my head now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's very nice to meet you J Cosmo Newbery!

    ReplyDelete
  14. it's been a while since i've taken the fork in the road ..
    seems that i'm presently suck on the handle.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very good advice. One day, I'm ging to pack up and leave for Ireland. Haven't gotten brave enough to do it yet, but it's always been in the back of my mind.

    ReplyDelete

You've come this far - thank you.
Take your time, look around,
There is lots to see.