Thursday, August 07, 2025

1393 - The Path

 

Image by ChatGPT

The Sunday Whirl presents these twelve words for us to use in a creative writing piece.  

souvenirs free touch know cracks siren window waves sting show ring give


Poet & Storytellers had the following prompt: 

"What’s the most important step a person can take?"

My answer is 'forward'.



The Path


"The past is not a tether but a teacher. 

When the lesson is learned, step forward."

— Unknown, possibly inspired by Rumi.


They are everywhere.

Windows on a past life.

Souvenirs fill my space.

Not all mine.  Not all ours.

That’s the sting, of course,

I have become the curator

Of someone else’s loves.

But they do touch me—

I know why they were special,

Mostly.

Special to someone else.

Rings, of course, stay,

Their story is eternal.

But where to from here?


◊


The past.  The future.

The linkages crack,

The grip loosens—

The sirens of life, a living life,

Call me, pull me,

Set me free,

Leading me on—

To the future.


◊


Behind me,

The past waves,

Blows me a loving kiss,

And wishes me well.

I step forward.


◊


Print this post

9 comments:

  1. I love your poem and yes, see similarities to mine but totaly unique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it and some wonderful images like 'Windows on a past life',
    'I have become the curator
    Of someone else’s loves.|

    ReplyDelete
  3. I step to walk a straight line in Physical Therapy these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely done. We are fortunate indeed if, as curators of treasures others left behind, we are blown a kiss when we let them go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the wisdom in your ending and the quiet determination to continue the journey of life step by step - Jae

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah yes, the stepping forward is essential.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad we have those with windows, a cats big wish waiting to be able to see the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "They are everywhere.

    Windows on a past life."

    A great beginning that I totally relate to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice cheerful thought.

    PK

    ReplyDelete

You've come this far - thank you.
Take your time, look around,
There is lots to see.