Thursday, August 06, 2026

1912 - Mulch Ado About Nothing

 

Image by ChatGPT

The Sunday Whirl presented these twelve words for us to use in a creative writing piece. 

screams desolate temples bone sparks pit voices follow underworld spiral weave current
Coincidentally, it contains 'bone', the prompt from Poets & Storytellers


Mulch Ado About Nothing.

Do worms scream?
Maybe so.
Rumour has it 
They sing though,
With rich baritone voices
As they weave their way
Through the underworld—
Their temples are the compost pits
Of peels, shells and bones;
Spiralling, twisting, writhing
A pink, tumbling current,
In the sea of mulch and decay.
But no desolate lives for them—
They are both male and female
So, when the sparks of love
Warm their wormy loins,
The coupling that follows
Is doubly satisfying.
Perhaps that is when
They scream.

Print this post

12 comments:

  1. an abstract and fascinating poem that takes us on a voyage of the imagination and away from our ego driven human perspective. Thank you. Very well crafted and imagined.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this very heartworming (and enjoyable)…

    ReplyDelete
  3. After Versesmith's poem yours reads like an elaboration of the same thoughts but kind of warm and lively. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  4. I worry that there are enough worms, what with all the early birds....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how this ode to worms enriches their mysterious existence.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed this one. I'm with Shaun Tenzenmen. My neighborhood is now infested with flopworms, the no-accounts of the earthworm family who just eat the humus off the top and don't do the soil any good. I hope the native earthworms are screaming in bliss! Reproducing frantically!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gah. I can see them writhing around! Had to smile at "Perhaps that is when they scream." I will never look at a worm the same way again. Smiles. I had never contemplated their mating.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this ode to the earthworm. It makes me wonder what their songs might be like. As to their screaming... they're entitled to a bit of privacy for all they do for the soil. ;) Have fun my segmented little friends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now I'll be waiting for the worms to scream!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's nice to think even worms have some pleasure in life! Jae

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lending my alto voice to those screaming worms' baritones .. we are about to have some fun!!!

    ReplyDelete

You've come this far - thank you.
Take your time, look around,
There is lots to see.