Tuesday, June 13, 2023

1588 - Finding Roses

 


The Sunday Whirl presents the following words for us to use:

mist creek belt shadows forest summer still rising crow filters time sentinel*


Finding Roses

“I am a forest, and a night of dark trees: 
but he who is not afraid of my darkness, 
will find banks full of roses under my cypresses.”  
-– Nietzche


The forest is quite still and dark,
Or so at first it seems.
But wait. And hear the rustling trees,
And burbling mountain steams.

Cypresses watch upon the woods,
Sentinels in the midst.
While shadows from what light there is
Play games upon the mist.

There is a clearing in this forest,
Where cypresses ease their grip;
You’ll discover banks of roses there,
That well reward the trip.
.
---
© 2023  J Cosmo Newbery
---   

*I confess that I didn't use them all.

Print this post

3 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJune 21, 2023

    I know the roses are there but the cypresses need a bit of pruning:)

    ReplyDelete

You've come this far - thank you.
Take your time, look around,
There is lots to see.