Saturday, April 27, 2024

1605 - The Walker

 




The Sunday Whirl presents twelve words for us to use in a creative writing piece.  
This weeks words are:

draw cracks sly sliver sleepy footprints stories moon outskirts wispy sky sea


The Walker

Narrator
It is twilight, faint moonlight shows the way
Movement! Noise! Mew. All cats are grey.
Steps of a lone walker, crunch the track.

The Walker
I know not where I am going, how can I go back?

Narrator
We are on the outskirts of the town, the sea below
Down the cliff, washes the sand with salt and foam.

The Walker
The stars fill the sky above me, a few wispy clouds drifting by,
Behind pulled curtains people get sleepy, by and by,
Cracks, mere slivers of light, escape the curtains,
Living their lives, oblivious to me.  Of that I’m certain.

Narrator
He leaves neither footprints nor other signs

The Walker
I am passing through with no designs
There are no conclusions to discuss or draw
I've never been in this place before—
I just am.  An innocent bystander passing by.

Narrator
In the dark, the cat watches: cautious, still, and sly.

Print this post

11 comments:

  1. This is absolutely wonderful! Wonderful image, too – but even more so is what you've made of it with this intriguing piece which nevertheless feels so right, so inevitable. Makes me shiver, in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an enchanting mysterious mood you wove with words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really intriguing mood you've set up here

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the way this is presented with the Narrator and the Walker...and the close is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! You took an image and paired it with great poetry OR you wrote great poetry and found the best image! Cheers to a job well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So mysterious and wonderfully told.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is excellent! So well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice blurb of a stray cat's walk, one of many like it I am sure. Nice twist at the end, telling the reader the walker was a cat.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting how people read things differently. When I wrote it I envisioned that cat as a watcher.

      Delete
  9. This is quite a mysterious, and thoughtful poem. I love the idea of the Walker.

    ReplyDelete

You've come this far - thank you.
Take your time, look around,
There is lots to see.