Friday, June 14, 2024

1312 - The Biggest Adventure

 

The Sunday Whirl presents twelve words for us to use in a creative writing piece.  
This weeks (very awkward) words are:

Strategy, enemy, thieves, red, dragon, air, hint, water, rock, nest, face, channel


The Biggest Adventure

We travel not for trafficking alone: 
By hotter winds our fiery hearts are fanned: 
For lust of knowing what should not be known 
We take the golden road to Samarkand.
- James Elroy Flecker


The Punter
I’m planning a trip to who knows where,
To kingdoms across the sands.
Where the food is rich and the women fair,
Where philosophers learn and understand.
Who will join me on this escapade?
Who will come to see what there is to see?
Life is too often a great charade,
Pack your bags and come with me!

A Man in the Crowd
How do we know that we won’t be killed?
The hills are full of brigands and thieves.
You hint of excitement, but I’d not be thrilled
To die in the desert while my woman grieves.

The Man’s Wife
Yes, how do I know that my man would return
And not be buried beneath a pile of rocks
On the plain where water’s scarce and air can burn.
At least here, if he dies, he gets a box.

The Punter
Surely you don’t guess that I want to die?
Your fears understandable, are unfounded.
‘There are no demons or dragon’s nests’ is my reply,
The trip’s well planned, the strategy’s grounded.

A Young Man
So what’s the point of this expedition?
Where do you go and what’s there for us?

The Punter
Life in a rut is a most deadly condition
Escaping from boredom is a definite plus.
The world is an exciting place, so come explore,
Who knows what delights are there, to see
To face, to marvel on some foreign shore?
Don’t rust your life away, come! Come with me!

Another Young Man
I take the point you so forcibly make,
Habit is the enemy of an interesting life.
We’ll all die sometime for heaven’s sake,
Who knows, perhaps I’ll find an exotic wife!

The Punter
Fine words, well said.  Welcome to our band!
Who else will channel their courageous bent,
To see red sunsets in some foreign land?
To sleep beneath the stars in a communal tent? 

A Third Young Man
I’ll throw my hat.  What will my parents say?
This is a chance to explore foreign lands
And I’m going to die some day anyway,
So why not trust in kind fortune’s hands?

The Punter
It is well.  We will make a fine team
As we venture forth into the unknown.
Most will just stay here and sadly dream
We brave few head off; the dice is thrown.

Epilogue
Out in the desert, where no-one goes,
Where all is bleak, just sand and stones,
And the wind moves the sand in rippled rows,
You’ll find a pile of sun bleached bones.


Print this post

12 comments:

  1. Fortune didn't favour the brave...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would always succumb to the lure of seeing red sunsets in foreign lands... !!! Travel and adventure, yes!! Very interesting form - works well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The epilogue is sad but beautifully written. I would like to think these travelers experienced some grand adventures before landing in the desert. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been enjoying your well-chosen epigraph quotations as well as your poems. And today I'm particularly thrilled – The Golden Journey is one of my favourite things of all time (I love Flecker altogether). How wonderful that you've also echoed part of its structure, and done so using convincing contemporary voices. Applause, applause!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AnonymousJune 15, 2024

    Long for this link-up, but well worth reading.

    Pris cilla King

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great response to (what I agree) were challenging words - a magical tale - Jae

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds a bit like Burke & Wills.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent. Wonderful, droll, and a pleasure to read, J. Great to read you again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As a lover of grand adventures, my bag is packed! (No matter the outcome.) Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think they are all politicians making idle promises to get elected. Some even go to jail for their lies. Martha Stewart served her five years for much less.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  11. I knew it was over for him when he used the words "trust in kind fortune's hands". Only a very young or naive person would trust in that. If the desert didn't get him, some other closer to home misfortune would have.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful writing, Ron. The epilogue was genius.

    ReplyDelete

You've come this far - thank you.
Take your time, look around,
There is lots to see.