Monday, June 03, 2024

1311 - The Cafe

 

The Sunday Whirl presents twelve words for us to use in a creative writing piece.  
This weeks words are:

clicking, whimsical, leap, poetry, songs, be, whirring, dangling, fates, talk, grant, storm


The Cafe

Cold, shivering, dripping wet.
The door clicks shut behind you,
Leaving the storm outside.
Coats are put to dry, dangling on hooks.
The room embraces you, warmly.

Behind the counter, within sight,
There is clatter and bustle, 
Orders shouted, in and out.
Bells ting, wait staff flit to and fro.
The whirring of the engine house,
This is what it is all about.  
The feeders and the fed.
Symbotic.

The smells of coffee and raisin toast,
Vanilla and cinnamon permeate—
Grant the room a separate warmth,
A thick poetry of the senses.
People sit, talking.  Conversations 
Leap haphazardly, fates are discussed,
The whimsical and the serious.
Songs and great novels are typed to life,
And some just sit and be.


Print this post

10 comments:

  1. I could see, hear and smell the scene. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "poetry of the senses" ... " some just sit and be".... perfectly described.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow very visual I feel I was there. My favourite line: "Songs and great novels are typed to life, And some just sit and be."

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a respite just to read it. All that is needed now is a poetry reading to the crowd. Maybe this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know? I haven't been in a coffee shop in more than 5 years--my immune system doesn't do well in crowds. I miss that "thick poetry of the senses". So, thank you so much for letting me feel it through your words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully rendered in all its atmosphere my friend - felt like I was. A very enjoyable read - thank you...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I echo what others have already said. You brought this to life beautifully! I continue to be in awe of what you do with a list of words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A haven from the cold. I'll have hot chocolate with my raison toast, thank you.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  9. A thick poetry of the senses. - love that line and the the picture this gives. We all need to sit and be. Interesting poem and words.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "a thick poetry of the senses" It all sounds wonderful. How do I get there?

    ReplyDelete

You've come this far - thank you.
Take your time, look around,
There is lots to see.