Thursday, July 12, 2012

CCCXXXII - A Fireside Question

Theme Thurday had the topic "Inspiring things".


A Fireside Question

The writer and his inner muse
Were sitting by a fire;
He was sipping Pinot Noir
She was plucking at a lyre.
“Tell me Sir” she asked at last
“What kind of things inspire?”

“You’re asking me what kinds of things
Encourage me to write?
They are many and quite varied,
Some appall and some delight.
There really is no set pattern
But I’ll list a few tonight:

A seed pushing up toward the sun,
A lover’s forlorn sigh,
A sunrise on a balmy morn,
A perfect lemon pie,
A white dove taking to the air,
A silky inner thigh.

The laugh of folk in happy times,
Or the darkness of the night.
The power of a steam train,
A flock of geese in flight,
A spider’s web, bedecked with dew,
A sense of what is right.

The complexities of existence,
The beauty of a tree;
The excitement of a puppy,
A steaming cup of tea;
A ball of multi-coloured twine
A ship upon the sea.

But it’s pointless to extend the list,
I’ve mentioned just a few.
Inspiration is a capricious beast,
And anything will do.
There’s no need to search it out,
As it will come to you.”
.
---


© 2012   J Cosmo Newbery
---


Print this post

13 comments:

  1. inspiration can be found in much anything...the difference definitely is if you are looking...and if you are able to see the beauty or poetic in anything...nice verse

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, true, I love the list, the scene, the muse asking, and the song this ultimately is. Set it to music?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you have turned your inspiration list into a beautiful poem. And then I would add Pinot Noir as an inspiration in itself :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH, I say! What a delightful poem, J.C.!

    Most of those work for met, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm wearing my sign: "Hunt Me" -- so far no capricious beast has struck me.

    Sigh.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like how you have a setting in which to talk about inspirations that is an inspiration in itself. It is such a wonderful thing to have so many things around us that are inspiring. I like your list and how it could go on and on. Inspiration can be anywhere we want it to be.

    Happy Theme Thursday, thanks for playing.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. AnonymousJuly 13, 2012

    A great list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the list and it's true, inspiration is all around us xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the listing of all the inspiring things ~ I like that it will all come to you ~

    Your writing is top-notch ~

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  11. This poem inspires me to not only take notice of what inspires me, but to write about it as well.

    You are a very talented poet. I'm enjoying your work immensely.

    ReplyDelete

You've come this far - thank you.
Take your time, look around,
There is lots to see.