Wednesday, February 22, 2012

CCLXXVIII - Pull out the corks.

.

Carry On Tuesday asks you to continue with a famous first line but to create your own work.
This weeks' line was "Stop all the clocks" from W.H.Auden's famous poem, Funeral Blues.
I wasn't really comfortable doing that, so did my own version. 
For me, one day.



Pull out the corks.

Pull out the corks, fill up your glasses,
What was above is now below the grasses.
Turn up the stereo; Mozart, if you have some.
Open up the back bar and let anyone come.

Let Magpies chortle in unfed dismay
Their morning feeder has gone away.
The possums, of course, wont miss him at all
As long as there’s garden, they’ll be having a ball.

He was my muse, my mask, my other half;
A wicked counsel and a ready laugh;
My prop, my strop, the Rogers to my Astaire,
He fathered my sons.  I know, I was there.

Tears are not wanted, so dry off your eyes;
Whatever is born, eventually dies.
So heat up the kettle and slice up the cake
Let’s give the old bastard a really good wake.
.
---


© 2012   J Cosmo Newbery
---
Print this post

13 comments:

  1. thanks for the comment. Actually, where when I wad in high school always had more than one unusual urban legends and myths on other topics other than Ms. Williams. Go figure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I become a "little lost" during stanzas (if that's what you can call them) two and three, but overall, I was quite entertained with your poem. Personally, I don't think that I could compose an entire poem from the prompt you were given.

    Good show! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great dear J Cosmo, Cheers!

    My magpies are chortling outside now, such a lovely serenade.

    xoxoxo ♡

    ReplyDelete
  4. Going out with a party ~ that sounds so like you!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your version is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this a lot, especially the last line. Sounds like the old bastard was worth mourning, so you might as well have a party.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Easily as good as the original, I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ah not such a fool on the hill! How very clever you are, this ticks all the boxes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yours sounds like a really fun wake. No stopping clocks on this one! Enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Doing your own thing was an excellent move!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Getting corked at your blog.

    And interesting experience, for a Bear.

    ReplyDelete

You've come this far - thank you.
Take your time, look around,
There is lots to see.