Thursday, March 28, 2024

1601 - Chambers of Amber

 


                                The Sunday Whirl presents twelve words for us to use:
amber rumpled holiness skin ancient bones invisible weep chambers three seeds spiral



Chambers of Amber

No rumpled memories of you for me,
They are sharp and crystal clear.
I daily miss you desperately
And most readily shed a tear.

When I look at what life gave to you
And took you early from this place
I struggle with those fine purveyors 
Of holiness, divinity and grace.

I miss the contact, intimate, of skin
On willing skin; a spoon affair.
Holding you in that warm embrace,
Flesh on flesh, the odour of your hair.

I wept for you but weep for me
As I wander through this land
A stranger now set free (an odd idea)
With no-one here to hold my hand.

We are a bag of meat and bones
A thinking pot roast, presented lightly,
So what is that unseen essence, 
That holds my heart so tightly?

Ancient wisdom, Seneca of course, says
Be strong, love what is,  just be.
It is the seed of a future that is to come.
But how can I release the past when it is me?

What’s past is past and cannot change
Like amber that entombs a gnat or three
It just remains suspended tightly there 
As a loving, cherished memory.

Print this post

8 comments:

  1. My heart aches with and for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "We are a bag of meat and bones
    A thinking pot roast"

    This image hit me hard. It brings thought of being devoured, consumed... and not in good way. Powerful... and a tad scary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But how can I release the past when it is me? - how indeed... nicely said!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully expressed. And I think we can all relate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your poetry triggered so many powerful emotions in me. Since early October 2023, I have lost a former husband, my dearest friend, a theatre director I often worked with, and came very close to losing a step-granddaughter. My heart aches for you. I am both soothed and overwhelmed by your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Til death do us part is so easily said in the beginning of it all. I'm sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful writing. I felt tears begin as I read this. So many can relate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And it is that way. I have two BILs who have lost their wives and one is grieving badly still, the other more knowing that life is like that, is taking it very well. The latter misses her a lot though, just under control of himself.
    ..

    ReplyDelete

You've come this far - thank you.
Take your time, look around,
There is lots to see.