Thursday, September 17, 2026

1924 - Open the Other End

 

MLMM Monday Wordle #494
presents the following words for us to work with:

child, protect, solitude, anger, searching, haven, cost, frustration, why, judge, safety, notice



Open the Other End.


“Do not eat the packaging.”

“Stand facing the urinal.”

“Remove child before folding stroller.”

“Do not iron clothes while wearing them.”

◊

The nanny state smothers us.

In the name of safety

They treat us like children—

To protect us, they say.  Why?

Why do we need such mollycoddling?

Everywhere there are notices

That judge us stupid.  Or worse.

They raise not awareness

But anger and frustration.

At what cost?  What have we lost?

So here I am, searching for a haven,

Searching for not solitude

But a door out of this asylum.

And the sign on the door says:

“This door is alarmed”.

So am I.


◊


Print this post

8 comments:

  1. Ha this is great. Stand facing the urinal ! Really ? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Di aka pensitivity101September 18, 2026

    This is so good. Yes, I remember the stroller, first remove the child. Geesh.
    Thanks for playing along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My flippant side smiled at the examples in your poem too! In darker days I always used to see the bells labelled - Press for Help' (I never did - maybe that's why it took so longer to move forwards a bit) Jae

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting .... overcautious big brother or protection against litigation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting. Another facet of family

    ReplyDelete
  6. “Ye can discern the face of the sky; but can ye not discern the signs of the times?” — Matthew 16:3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it all, and particularly the ending.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Searching for the door out of the mad house? Here's your answer

    https://rallentanda.blogspot.com/2026/09/senryu-sunday-september-27th.html

    ReplyDelete

You've come this far - thank you.
Take your time, look around,
There is lots to see.