Sunday, August 07, 2016

884 - The Yes-But Lady


Three Word Wednesday requires participants
to use the three words of the week in a composition.
The words this week are: minor, nebulous and oily.


The Yes-But Lady

I want to tell you of a minor gripe
About a lady of a particular type.
This lady rebuts every word I say,
Sort of agrees, then takes it away
[Yes, but I’m sure I don’t do it every day.]

She’s always adamant and quite forthright,
Nothing nebulous, she loves a fight.
[Yes, but that’s because I know I’m right!]

Everything I say has an alternate view.
Is nothing I say good enough for you?
[Yes, but everything I say is true!]

Here, let’s see if some examples will do:

I like bacon and eggs, usually two.
[Yes, but they are so oily and bad for you.]

I think I’ll drive into the city.
[Yes, but the countryside is really pretty.]

I bought a shirt, it’s blue, quite pale.
[Yes, but I would have waited for the sale.]

One day when she attacks, oblique,
I’ll chuck the wretch into the creek!
[Yes, but it hasn’t rained in over a week!]

No friend or relative, alive or dead,
Should see themselves in what I’ve said!
[Yes, but it’s OK; what you write is never read.]
.
---
© J Cosmo Newbery 2016
---
Print this post

27 comments:

  1. Yes but isn't it good to get contrary views?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sancho beat me to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how very passive aggressive of her

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes but she has a right to her opinion, doesn't she?

      Delete
  4. Sigh. The yes buts are only listening for a hook to make their reply.

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha...the closing couplet is marvelous...the world teems with yes-buts :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is very cleverly done. I like the repartee (although, I do not like 'yes, but...' responses either.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I echo the sentiments above!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. For so long women were without a voice, slowly they have a achieved it. In your case you can't quite see it and perhaps it is but a vice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fair crack at the hard boiled egg. It is not a criticism of women; certainly the person I had in mind when I wrote this is a woman but the behaviour is gender neutral.

      Delete
    2. Perhaps he didn't read it.

      Delete
  9. Brilliantly put accross yes but

    ReplyDelete
  10. So that's what happens when Alice grows up - or is it just that nagging voice in our head (think so ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh dear, your ending made me giggle.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, you have described a particular kind of person to perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hahahaha! I also have a "yes, but" (er) friend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great fun my friend - fresh and original too... With Best Wishes Scott

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL, do you know my Sister? Loved This!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's her...either her or the Russian tax lawyer who lives next door to me. She is like that.It cannot be me...with me it's either yes or no (mainly no and no buts:)

      Delete
  16. That is absolutely hilarious, almost like conversations with my Mother :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOL really enjoyed this and while reading, I kept thinking also the stuff of limericks
    Thanks for dropping by my Sunday Lime

    Much love...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Had me smilin' from the "git Go". Very clever :)
    ZQ

    ReplyDelete
  19. One never seems to be right in practically all sorts of situations. It is such a discouragement when faced with such responses!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ha ha. What a ditty. I'd say she was passive-aggressive!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is fun ...but nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ha ha! That was fun. I try to catch myself before I but too soon!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Is this groundhog day?

    ReplyDelete

You've come this far - thank you.
Take your time, look around,
There is lots to see.