Thursday, March 04, 2010

CLXXII - The Worm and the Starling

.

While pondering my options for Percy's Competition and
collecting proper nouns for the main event,
I present a little diversion.

The Worm & The Starling
(Subtitle: Curtains for wormy)

"You can trust me" said the starling
I just want you for my friend.
I have no-one for "my darling"
I will love you 'til the end.

The worm was a little worried
His mum warned of bird like this;
So his decision was not hurried
By tales of love and bliss.

But silky words slipping from the beak
Lessened the young worm's fright.
They held each other cheek to cheek
And danced away the night.

"Come it's getting late" the starling said
"It's time to be counting sheep".
They lay down of a feather bed
But the worm was not inclined to sleep.

---
© J Cosmo Newbery
---

◊◊◊

For strangers to this site, there is something of a joust going on between a number of knightly gentlemen (or otherwise) and demure , sweet and coy ladies. See the link to Sir Percy's Silly Poetry Competition in the side bar.
...

Print this post

14 comments:

  1. LOL Were I that worm I would not be inclined to sleep beside a wren either. Greetings Sir Cosmo from Lady Cherylann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do I see a feather bed theme happening in the last couple of posts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. now if i were a starling's mum, i'd tell all my feathered offspring to stop playing with their food...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a visual I got from this. So different than the usual brutal bird/worm action in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Run little worm - run!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am confused about the ending. Did the worm survived this encounter?;) Sorry, I am bit slow.;))
    xo
    Zuzana

    ReplyDelete
  7. slid away didn't he? the worm....

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very nervous worm ... xo ♡

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm.. a relationship not built on trust. That's not going to last. The worm is breakfast. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't tell if your inspiration was "The Walrus and the Carpenter," "Little Red Riding-Hood," or the story of John McCain and Sarah Palin. (In that last one, the worm was victorious.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you got it, third try, Larry.
    There is a strong chance that the Walrus and the Carpenter will be the inspiration for my entry poem. Carefully disguised as the Yak and the Anchovy, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I say that He may yet worm his way out of it.

    I am back to my own feather bed then, a'fore I am Discouvered of mine Personal Physician...

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have my vote... forever and a day.

    ReplyDelete

You've come this far - thank you.
Take your time, look around,
There is lots to see.