Sunday, July 22, 2012

CCCXXXIX - Treasure


Sunday Scribblings has the prompt ‘Treasure’.


Treasure

Who can find a virtuous woman?
For her price is far above rubies.
Proverbs 31:10

Rubies are a most valued stone
With a place in any pirate’s treasure;
Salome’s navel harboured one
Which added to her pleasure.

The Bible tells us clearly that,
Despite what’s said by jewellers Tiffany,
A virtuous woman is worth more than rubies
But is silent on how many.

Being virtuous is an honourable thing,
Not startling so, but nice;
But if you want good value for your rubies:
Virtuosity will fetch a higher price.
.
---


© 2012   J Cosmo Newbery
---

Print this post

9 comments:

  1. I wonder whether virtuous and virtuosity are really connected? Same root but subtle difference in meaning. Trouble is I can't be serious commenting about this all the while I am imagining Salome dancing with a ruby in her navel. That really dragged me in and my sensible comment disappeared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's my excuse too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the silence of how many..very clever..maybe we should always keep 'our price' close to our chest..so to speak..jae

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really made Salome dance in my mind :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. TigerbriteJuly 23, 2012

    Nicely done :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A clever, cavorting play with words, much like Salome's dancing. I loved this... and the lesson it shares!

    ReplyDelete
  7. don't think I've read you before, but I love rhymes and clever word play, and you do both so very well....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Virtuosity is a useful tool for many of life situations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now I know why you wanted the sceptre, it was for the ruby stuck in the end. Good word play!

    ReplyDelete

You've come this far - thank you.
Take your time, look around,
There is lots to see.